What is Cellulite:
Cellulite is a condition in which the skin appears to have areas with underlying fat deposits, giving it a dimpled, lumpy appearance. It is most noticeable on the buttocks and thighs, and usually occurs after puberty.
Cellulite is also known as adiposis protrusus, and lipodystrophy in the medical field and as orange peel syndrome, cellulite may affect up to 90% of women at some point in their lives.
Cellulite is classified into three grades:
- Grade 1 cellulite sees no clinical symptoms, but a microscopic examination of cells from the area detects underlying anatomical changes.
- Grade 2 cellulite requires the skin to show pallor (pastiness), be lower temperature, and have decreased elasticity, in addition to anatomical changes noted by microscopic examinations.
- Grade 3 cellulite has visible roughness of the skin (like an orange peel) along with all grade 2 signs.
Causes of cellulite
The causes of cellulite are not well understood, but there are several theories that have been put forth as explanations. Among these are:
- Hormonal factors - hormones likely play an important role in cellulite development and part of the cellulite production process
- Genetics - Genes may predispose an individual to cellulite, such as slow metabolism, distribution of fat and circulatory insufficiency
- Diet - people who eat too much fat, carbohydrates, or salt and too little fiber are likely to have greater amounts of cellulite.
- Lifestyle factors - cellulite may be more prevalent in smokers, those who do not exercise, and sitting or stand for long time.
What Dr Fam can do for you:
Dr Fam uses methotherapy protocols to treat cellulite with association of certain activity and certain diet.